Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Seraphic in the Ghetto

Seraphic Singles has an interesting series of posts about writing, reading, and the Catholic ghetto. It was sparked by a publisher's response to her book submission:

When I got home on Tuesday . . . I discovered a rejection letter on my computer. To put it in a nutshell, the work wasn't Catholic enough for that particular press. And as I mentioned, I lost my ability to discern between criticism of my work and criticism of myself. I lay under a chair, eating chocolate.

One of the sticking points, and apparently there were many, was that I wrote in a positive fashion about the TV show Sex and the City. I went back to my MS to find out where, and it was in my daydream that my friends would copy Carrie Bradshaw's friends in sending Mr. Big to bring me home. That seemed innocuous to me, but then I reflected that perhaps the problem was that I mentioned the TV show at all. . . .
To what extent does one engage or reject popular culture both as a writer and as a media consumer? Her answer might surprise some, especially those unacquainted with Catholic thought. Whether you end up agreeing with her or not, her posts are thoughtful and interesting.

Read "Back to the Catholic Ghetto" Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

4 comments:

Sherwood said...

Thank you so much for linking to that! Wow, that was interesting, and oddly enough paralleled (inevitably with clearer and deeper thinking) a thought line I'd been pursuing of late.

Seraphic Single said...

Thank you, CB! Much appreciated.

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

You're welcome, Seraphic. I always enjoy reading your blog.

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Sherwood,

I was hoping you'd click on the link because I thought you might find it interesting. I'm glad it was.