Wednesday, July 25, 2007

First Boring Post

I cannot think of any way around it. The first post is bound to be boring.

Here I am, standing up in cyberspace, waving my hand and saying, "Hello, I'm starting a blog!" just as if someone were interested in what I have to say.

I am a 55 year old widow who has recently moved herself and her library into a much smaller house. Consider what that means. I have picked up, dusted, considered the merits of, and discarded or packed every book which my husband and I collected during nearly 30 years of marriage -- not to mention the ones we brought with us as dowries. We're talking thousands of books! And now I am unpacking them and arranging them on their shelves.

During this whole process I found myself generating a mental monologue about the books I was handling, the authors who had written them, the time and place when I had first read a particular book, and the philosophy of book collecting. And that is mostly what this blog is going to be about -- as well as related subjects such as libraries and the process of reading.

My daughter suggested "Catholic Bibliophagist" as a title for this blog, and I think it is a fitting one. I have always been a devourer of books. And I am a Catholic with a catholic (note the lower case "c") library.

3 comments:

Kiwi Nomad said...

Welcome to Blog-dom! Have fun!

Author Known said...

Welcome to the blog world!

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Thanks for the welcome, and thank you for letting me know that you were reading.